Sunday, January 20, 2013

The LoveHate Feelings Towards Traveling

I'm going to toot our horns on how well we've been choosing hostels and other accommodations. Until yesterday. I'm not generally snobby about where I stay, I live in my car four months out of the year, but grOSS! I take all the credit for this one. I picked it online, didn't read the reviews... Rookie mistake. I had a bad feeling about it when we rolled up. Maybe it was the chipped paint on the outside of the building, or the gypsie clothes hanging out the window but I just know right away that I made a mistake. After sitting on a nasty bus for 28 hours, the only thing you want to do is take a shower and I didn't even do that. Not even with my shoes on.

We just walked around for a few hours kind of trying to be light hearted in this situation. When I was looking at all of the other tourists i was picturing the, going to their really nice hotels and sleeping in clean sheets and taking a luxurious shower...jealous! Or when we walked back (I refuse to even call it home) I was looking inside the shops wishing we could just sleep inside any of those clean shops. At least this was the only gross place we'd stayed in two months. When we get to Mendoza, we ain't stayin in no nasty backpackers hostel. I thoroughly researched the place we will check in tomorrow morning.  It's going to be like 200* F up there so ac or at least a ceiling fan is a must.

Feels good to vent! On a happy note, since we unloaded a bunch of gear to super grateful climbers in El Chalten, we are now able to buy stuff! Yay! It's way more fun to be a tourist when you can buy the cute little artisan products! That's what Ryan thinks too, I'm sure :). Since Argentina is going through some massive political changes and in an effort to promote buying local, there are lots of handmade local artisan galleries. Very colorful. I would like one of each please. Unfortunately, on the contrary to shopping in any other south American country, its still kinda pricey.

Well that's it for today's rant. Thanks for tuning in!

No comments:

Post a Comment